CALIFORNIA QUARTERLY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The flagship publication of the CSPS is the California Quarterly, which it has published continually since 1972. We accept poems literally from around the world. The California Quarterly is published four times a year and only accepts unpublished poetry. Foreign language poems need an English translation.
One page poems work best, and two-page is the maximum size. There are no theme or style restrictions, though some editors prefer to ask for poems on a theme of their choice.
Submit 1 to 5 poems in a single .doc or docx file labeled with Poet Last Name, Poet First Name, Number of poems and Date submitted.
Each poetry page in the file should start with a header containing the following poet information: Name (last name first), Mail Address, e-mail, Telephone, Date submitted. Poem Title should appear on each page of poem.
Notification is sent in 3-5 months. Payment is one copy of the CQ and all rights remain with the poet.
Poems considered for a given issue are generally collected during the previous calendar quarter. Send only one set of at most five (5) poems per calendar quarter.
PREFERRED ONLINE SUBMISSIONS:
Please submit your poems online, using Submittable.com, and the following link:
OPTIONAL HARD-COPY PRINT SUBMISSIONS:
If you do not have access to Submittable or experience serious computer troubles, you can submit hard-copy of your poems, by mailing a set of poems to our Post Office Box:
Post Office Box 4288
Sunland, California 91041-4288
- Name, address, telephone number, and email address, on each page of your submission
- One-page poems are best, but an 80-line (two-page) maximum in any case
- Either email address or a SASE with sufficient US postage (whether domestic or foreign) for requested response(s) if you mail your submission and don't provide an email address in your contact information
- No biographies or résumés, as only the poems are judged
- The poems must be the original, unpublished work of the poet
- Foreign language poems must be accompanied by translations into English
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please notify us at once if your submission is accepted for publication elsewhere
- Poems are not returned, so keep copies if you submit through the Post Office Box!
CALIFORNIA QUARTERLY BOARD OF EDITORS
Nancy Dougherty, Terry Ehret
Margaret Saine, Maja Trochimczyk
John Brantingham, Maura Harvey
- John Brantingham
- Nancy Cavers Dougherty
- Terry Ehret
- Maura Harvey
- Pearl Karrer
- Margaret Saine
- Maja Trochimczyk
- Spring 2018, 44:1 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Summer 2018, 44:2 - Pearl Karrer
- Autumn 2018, 44:3 - Terry Ehret
- Winter 2018, 44: 4 - Margaret Saine
- Spring 2019, 45:1 - Maura Harvey
- Summer 2019, 45:2 - Nancy Cavers Dougherty
- Autumn 2019, 45:3 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Winter 2019, 45: 4 - Terry Ehret
- Spring 2020, 46:1 - Pearl Karrer
COVER ART SUBMISSIONS
CQ welcomes submissions of unpublished original art for its covers. Submit the art as a JPEG attachment with a resolution of 300 dots/inch or better to print an image 5” high x 3.75” wide, one image at a time.
CSPS reserves the right to post selected artwork on its website. Submissions can be made through this page of the website or as attachments to emails to the Chair - Art Panel link on the Contact Us page.
ORDERING OF EXTRA COPIES OF CQ
Order extra or sample copies of the CQ through the CQs page on this website or send $10/copy to:
CSPS Vice President/Membership
2560 Calabria Court
Dublin, California 94568