This page contains information about submissions to the California Quarterly, Monthly Poetry Contests, Annual Poetry Contest 2021, and the Poetry Letter. Please scroll down to find the information you seek.
Please submit your poems online, using Submittable.com, and the following link:
- Name, address, telephone number, and email address, on each page of your submission
- One-page poems are best, but an 80-line (two-page) maximum in any case
- A SASE with sufficient US postage (whether domestic or foreign) for requested response(s)
- No biographies or résumés, as only the poems are judged
- The poems must be the original, unpublished work of the poet
- Foreign language poems must be accompanied by translations into English
- Simultaneous submissions are NOT acceptable as of January 1, 2023
- Poems are not returned, so keep copies if you submit through the Post Office Box!
- Spring 2018, 44:1 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Summer 2018, 44:2 - Pearl Karrer
- Autumn 2018, 44:3 - Terry Ehret
- Winter 2018, 44: 4 - Margaret Saine
- Spring 2019, 45:1 - Maura Harvey
- Summer 2019, 45:2 - Nancy Cavers Dougherty
- Autumn 2019, 45:3 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Winter 2019, 45: 4 - Pearl Karrer
- Spring 2020, 46:1 - Margaret Saine
- Summer 2020, 46:2 - Maura Harvey
- Autumn 2020, 46:3 - Terry Ehret
- Winter 2020, 46:4 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Spring 2021, 47:1 - Bory Thach
- Summer 2021, 47:2 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Autumn 2021, 47:3 - Konrad Wilk
- Winter 2021, 47:4 - William Scott Galasso
- Spring 2022, 48:1 - Maja Trochimczyk
- Summer 2022, 48:2 - Margaret Saine, Guest Editor
- Autumn 2022, 48:3 - Bory Thach
- Winter 2022, 48:4 - Deborah P Kolodji, Guest Editor
- Spring 2023, 49:1 - Konrad Wilk
Order extra or sample copies of the CQ through the CQs page on the CSPS website (CaliforniaStatePoetrySociety.org) or send $10/copy to:
- Upload your poems and pay reading fees at our website:
At this time we accept previously published poems and there are three ways to submit:
1. by regular mail, enclosing printed copies of poems and your check,
CSPS Monthly Contest – (Specify Month)Post Office Box 4288, Sunland, California 91041
2. online on our website CaliforniaStatePoetrySociety.org, or
3. by email, using PayPal and email CaliforniaStatePoetrySociety@gmail.com) to make a payment - adding $1.00 for PayPal fees if submitting by email. Alternatively, poets may submit their work by email to: CSPSMonthlyContests@gmail.com (Specify Month) and simultaneously pay their contest fees by PayPal to: CaliforniaStatePoetrySociety@gmail.com, adding $1 for PayPal fees.
All Monthly Contests are judged by Alice Pero, CSPS Monthly Contest Judge. The 1st place winner receives half of the prize pool for pools less than $100. For pools of $100 or more, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners receive $50, $10 and $5, respectively. If there are insufficient fees submitted, the minimum prize is $10. There are no exceptions to the prize disbursement rules.
The monthly contest winners are announced as they are awarded and the winners are notified by mail. All of the winners for the year are listed in the first CSPS Newsbriefs of the following year. In addition, the first prize winner poems are published in the CSPS Poetry Letter (PDF, email, posted on website) and posted on this blog.
Please note: Do not send SAE’s. We do not return poems. If you win, we will let you know. Otherwise there are no notifications.
CSPS Monthly Contest Themes (Revised)